Listed as being approximately 9 miles from Warwick, the Freestone Creek (Lower) Receiving office opened in 1873. This office was elevated to a Post Office in 1875. On September 1st 1876 it was once again listed as a Receiving office.
With the opening of the railway, the office moved to the railway station and was called Freestone Receiving Station. In 1927, it was once again listed as a Post Office. In 1949, the Office left the rail and moved to Mick Booth’s store, where it stayed until it closed in May 1973.
The list of Officers in Charge was supplied by the Historical Officer at Australia Post (Brisbane).
Receiving Office Keeper 1873 John Skinner - Teacher
Postmaster 1875 John Skinner - Teacher
" 1876 E. Skinner - Teacher
Receiving Office Keeper 1876 W. Palmer - Teacher
" 1879 L. O’Neil (Malcolm) - Teacher
" 1884 E. Pascoe - Teacher
" 1888 H. Smith
" 1905 H. Smith - remuneration #7-10-00pa
" 1912 railway - employees unlisted
" 1948 Railway - Mrs Head
" 1949 Michael Francis Booth - post master
The first official mail route appears to have been from Warwick. The service went from Warwick to Freestone Creek on a weekly basis and it commenced 10th July 1873. On 5th March 1874, the route included Swan Creek. Once the railway started, arrangements would have been made to have the mail carried by train.
On 27th July 1905, permission was given for the Freestone Creek (Lower) office to be used to transmit Telegraph by telephone and for telephone call purposes. Payment was 5 pounds per annum for the telegraph work and 15% of telephone collections. When the office moved to the railway, the PMG paid the railway 6 pounds per annum to conduct the office.
The public telephone and telegraph office was closed for a short time prior to its removal to the railway station, and from then on, records show its name being listed as Freestone.
In 1928 a new telephone exchange was opened and only one subscriber was connected, the Wheat Board. This remained the only connection until 1948. The office was still at the railway in 1948, situated at the residence of Station Mistress, Mrs Head, with an extension to the station. Mr Francis, a teacher at the time, is on record as having written concerning the excellent and efficient manner in which the Post Office was run. A daily roadside mail run began on 1st October 1947 between Warwick and Tregony, including Freestone.
On 1st August 1949, Mr Booth was appointed Post Master after the Office left the railway, which was unable to provide attention until 9pm. Mr Booth was willing to provide this service.